It's time to finish up my coverage of our New Zealand vacation. On the morning of day 6, we got up and headed out early to rent a couple bikes. We wanted to go all around Napier and see whatever we had missed the day before. Unfortunately, the rental shops didn't open until 10am. We didn't have time to wait for that because we had a few hours of driving to do in order to make it to Martinboro for the pre-wedding barbecue. Instead we enjoyed a brisk walk along the water. So refreshing!
For lunch on our way out of town, we ate at the Old Church (remember that it had been closed to patrons the night before?). We got there a little early and it wasn't open yet, so we walked around the grounds and sat in the garden. It is literally an old church converted into a restaurant, and it's really gorgeous inside with red velvet chairs and huge chandeliers. It has a vineyard on the grounds.
We didn't get a picture of the outside, so if you're interested go here: www.theoldchurch.co.nz
For lunch on our way out of town, we ate at the Old Church (remember that it had been closed to patrons the night before?). We got there a little early and it wasn't open yet, so we walked around the grounds and sat in the garden. It is literally an old church converted into a restaurant, and it's really gorgeous inside with red velvet chairs and huge chandeliers. It has a vineyard on the grounds.
We didn't get a picture of the outside, so if you're interested go here: www.theoldchurch.co.nz
A 1918 Cadillac we saw on the road
The scenery never got old
We made it to Martinboro in time to check in to our room at the Brackenridge Country Retreat. All the wedding festivities were held on site, so it was very convenient. Notice the sheep in the background of some of these pictures. Jamie's mom had put a gift bag in our room with assorted treats that are native to New Zealand. I really liked the "Pineapple Lumps", which were a chewy, taffy-like (except lighter) candy with a chocolate coating.
Jamie's parents, Doug and Jenni, hosted a barbecue at their cottage and it was so fun to meet Jamie and Hannah's friends and family! Here's Jamie with Clive to the right, and an American friend (also Jamie) to the left.
Hannah with her adorable niece Esme. She was such a cutie, and I love the name Esme. However, it has lost something for me since someone reminded me that there's a character named Esme in the Twilight book. No offense to the fans.
Doug at the grill. I think those are veggie burgers in the picture, and they also served lamb. The spread also included salad, bread, homemade fruit chutney, cookies, and heart-shaped brownies. One family member, Neil, graciously offered me a drink when I first arrived (Jim and I got separated for some reason), and I politely declined. He offered a few other choices, all alcoholic, and I once again declined with an explanation that I don't drink. He looked at me like that was the first time anyone had ever said that to him. I found out a little bit later that he had recently sold his vineyard and winery, so maybe it was the first time anyone had said that to him!
Hannah's sister, Melissa, was the publicist for Peter Jackson when he directed Lord of the Rings. Jamie and Hannah planned a surprise for Jim; Melissa presented him with a few one-of-a-kind gifts. Melissa is great - lots of personality. Esme is her daughter.
I just like this picture of Jim, so I'm including it! He complains that he doesn't know how to smile for pictures; I kind of agree with him. :) It just took a candid shot to catch that smile.
Jamie with his American host father from Missouri, Randy. Cute sheep back there!
We had the privilege of meeting Deirdre (the one smiling adoringly at Jamie). Her son happens to be Bret from Flight of the Conchords. She was absolutely great, and we ALMOST got to meet Bret. He was in Wellington for his own secret wedding (the paparazzi found out and it was headline news there a couple days later). She tried to arrange a quick meeting for us on our way to the airport, but we simply ran out of time...next time Deirdre!
I don't remember posing for this picture. I must have just been standing like that. Weird. Anyway, you can see what a wimp I am about the cold, because I have a coat on and the other ladies are doing just fine with bare arms. This was where the wedding ceremony took place. Surrounding it was the field with grazing sheep.
Here comes the bride, hidden by a large paper umbrella.
Cute nephews bore the rings.
I love this picture. They look so happy!
Jim doesn't particularly like all the hooplah around weddings, but I love the romance and fancy stuff. So for those of you who are like me, here are lots of wedding pictures full of people you don't know!
Signing the wedding license to make it official.
Ooh...this one too.
There are a lot of things I like about this picture. I especially like how this cutie (I think his name was Milo) reminds me of my nephew Jack.
Love the orange hair ornament.
Jim with Jamie's American mom Pat and sister Carrie. He got to know them pretty well when he was in high school. They are very tiny and Jim is very tall, so that always makes for a good picture.
The morning of the wedding, Jim went golfing with Jamie and his friends so these girls took me shopping in Greytown with them. It was a cute town with lots of interesting shops. I had no intention of buying anything except a gift for my mom (did I mention that she and my dad kept the kids for NINE days?? Oh, and I had already gotten something for dad). I was doing very well until we got to a shop that had the cutest bag on a mannequin at the front of the store. I was admiring it, and Carrie noticed that it was a diaper bag. Boy, did that make it enticing! She told me I should get it, and I said, "No, the PricewaterhouseCoopers backpack I use works fine." Jim got that about 6 years ago when he was working there. Well between Carrie, Laura (another daughter) and Pat, I was ambushed. "You need it," they said. "When do you EVER buy anything for yourself?" they asked. "You'll use it every day!" they exclaimed. After several minutes of this, I told them they were worse than my mother, and bought the bag. I do not regret it! It makes me smile every time I look at it and reminds me of my glorious trip to New Zealand every day. So thanks ladies!
]
Pretty details on the wedding dress, don't you think?
Hannah's brother, Brendan.
Hannah's two sisters, Melissa and Nichola, with Jamie's brother Rupert. I think he looks a bit like Heath Ledger.
The whole American family. Laura (in the red) is an ordained minister and although she couldn't marry them because she isn't licensed in NZ, she contributed to the ceremony.
Hannah's family. They are a great group of people that I would love to get better acquainted with.
Hannah could not have sat us with a more fun couple at the reception! Sean was hilarious. He and Jim got along very well. His wife Melanie was super fun too. The reception was great! We had a delicious meal and there were several speeches/toasts by friends and family. I think Melissa was my favorite. She wrote a poem about Hannah that was so cute. She had everyone laughing.
We headed to our toom at 10:00 that night, just when the dancing started. We must be getting old because we were exhausted.
Hannah's aunt owns this summer home a few blocks from Brackenridge. It was very contemporary; I loved it. She hosted a lunch* the next day and it was great way to say good-bye to all our new friends. I really feel like I can call them friends, and now we have people to stay with in every part of the north island next time we go!
*We had some appetizers called Paua fritters. They were made with the Paua shell which is native to NZ. They were kind of chewy like mussels or something. Interesting.
5 comments:
I love how your outfit matches the church/restaurant. Love the baby with the beer (poor kid). And I love that the men wore boutonnieres on their white shirts instead of suit coats :) Great pictures :)
I, too, love the romance of weddings. I could look at wedding pictures of people I don't know for hours. Your pictures are gorgeous and New Zealand is now #1 on my list of places to visit before I die.
Totally cool! Like a mini trip to New Zealand. Hope you had as much fun as it looked like you did.
Jewel
I love it! But you must post a picture of the diaper bag - most of your readership will really appreciate it!
lovely lovely lovely!! You look stunning even with your jacket on :) :) Where can a girl find some of those pineapple lumps! lol. They sound delicious! Glad you guys were able to have such a fantastic trip!!!
Post a Comment