Sunday, December 28, 2008

So I went to the library yesterday BY MYSELF. I haven't been anywhere by myself in months! It felt very strange, and very quiet. They closed down the little branch I'd been to before because of budget cuts in Philadelphia, so I went to a different one. It was interesting. The first person I saw was a very large man wearing women's clothing, lipstick, and a lop-sided wig. He worked there. Laugh if you want, but I was NOT laughing, and if you know me very well, you know why. Another man came in who was clearly drunk. This is where I live now! Sometimes I miss the suburbs...

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Meredith,
You are SO kind to always leave such wonderful compliments on my blog. I really appreciate your kindness. You are such a sweet heart. I need to read up on your blog and catch up on your life. To say I have been busy would be an understatement!!!!
I just keep going and going and going!!! Fun stuff though.
Looks like you had a great Christmas. I cannot wait until my little guy gets into LEGO'S!!!

kristen said...

Living in the city is cool, you have definite cred ;)

We live in the city (granted, in the south, but still very in the city) and our neighborhood is really diverse. Upper middle class to homeless, very walkable with all the best restaurants that make Birmingham a food city. Full of history (civil rights) and color full current events (shootings.) But my kids love it. I love to hear them shriek when we go over the hill from the burbs, "THE CITY!" But, to them, living in the city means we live really close to friends and fun (kid's museum, zoo, etc.)

Liz Wilcken said...

awww...I'm sorry your first time out in awhile wasn't pleasant. It does feel weird not to have kids in the car seats and being able to move quickly if you want. I can make a trip through Provo library in 5 minutes as opposed to 30 with the kids (and that's just to pick up my holds!).

Winters Wonderland said...

Meredith, If it makes you feel any better, when I worked at TJ max in CARY a man came to the fitting room in a dress and make-up with his clothes to try on (dresses) and I had this small internal conflict about which dressing room to send him to (I chose men's).

You'll have to let us know if, a year from now, you are desensitized to all of the madness in Philly. Like "oh, there's another man dressed like a lady, and another drunk person."

P.S. The Suburbs miss you too! :)

melissa said...

I, too, look forward to your desensitization and your kids sprouting Philly accents. They are going to have so much street cred sharing stories about livin' in the hood.
Isn't being alone weird? I always feel like I'm missing limbs.

Blog Archive